Generated Image

Monday, July 16, 2007

They don't do nostalgia like they used to

I won't wax lyrical too long on this one, but allow me a moment of post-rave nostalgia. A few months back when I'd had a listen to LCD Soundsystem's 'Sound Of Silver' and then saw them live here in Amsterdam, there was one stand-out track.

While the hypnotic piano, New Order guitar riff and LCD beat are infectious, it was the lyrical content of 'All My Friends' that caught my viscera. Being a 32yo Aussie ex-rave kid that's been away from home too long and with friends scattered around the globe - I am a perfect target for Murphy's brand of melancholic nostalgia on this track.

From the opening lyric of "That's how it starts, we go back to your house" to when he lifts a little to "You spend the first five years trying to get with the plan and the next five years trying to be with your friends again" right on through to the carthartic crescendo of Murphy shouting "if I could see all my friends tonight", the track has me in the grips of an uncharacteristic wistfulness.

I very much live for the moment and my life is currently on a trajectory that doesn't lend to reminisces of times past, yet every time I listen to this track (a current release no less) I am taken back to the mid-nineties in Sydney and the people I shared those times with.

It conjures those 8am drives from the club back to Bondi via Rose Bay riffing on subjects and rattling around in the glove box for spare sunglasses for my mates; smoking a spliff with Johnno on the North Bondi rocks before diving in to the cleansing blue ocean - the only thing that could wash away the stale sweat and chemical residue of the night's excesses; going back to a stranger's place and discovering the most beautiful girl you've ever seen is actually interested in you and is so easy to talk to; when a mate puts a track on that so perfectly sums up the moment and the feeling among your crew that you get cheers, smiles and hugs all-round...

It gets lost in the telling, but the feeling and the memories are still there. And that for me is the genius of this track - those moments are gone and the people have moved on, yet you're so fucking glad that you were lucky enough to have had them. 'All My Friends'captures that essence.

Below is the shortened radio edit that was used for this beautiful video (replete with facepaint, lizards, mirrors and pyro pay-off) directed by MJZ's Tom Kuntz.

1 comment: