Generated Image

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Indian Spirituality

It pervades everything. I don't know why, but anything that would pass as cultish or faddish in the west comes across as genuine and sincere here. Yoga instructors radiate serenity rather than smugness and it doesn't seem strange that somebody, whom you've just met, suddenly starts reading your palms (I'm gonna be minted and have three kids). Conversations with people about their daily routine of yoga, oil massage and going to the temple are of great interest in comparison to my: have a coffee, make a resolve and boost it with extra paracetamol and hope I wake up sufficiently before I make it to work. If it was a blonde with an LA accent telling me their body is a temple and what routine is responsible for that crazed look in their eyes...I would have lost interest before they'd mentioned their morning wheatgrass shot.

Maybe I'm prejudiced, but maybe it's because Indians are the true original New Agers and us Westerners just come across as cheap counterfeits when we try and jump on the enlightenment bandwagon.

What got me on this riff was an unsolicited text message that I received from my mobile provider this morning:

"Every bad situation will have something positive. Even a stopped clock shows correct time twice a day. Think of this and lead ur life. Good Morning. Regards Airtel."

If this had happened in the west, I'd be sure I'd joined a cult not a mobile network. But here in India (the largest cult of them all), some spiritual guidance to start the day is all part of the service.

No comments: